Keep your ski and snowboard edges sharp for those icy or hard packed days with the Purl Edge Tuner Kit. Sharp, deburred, clean, and polished edges will help you go faster and carve more controlled turns!
This edge care kit bevels BOTH your SIDE and BASE edges on skis and snowboards in .5 degree increments.
- SIDE & BASE EDGE MULTI-TOOL: Adjustable edge tool to bevel BOTH base and side edges in .5 degree increments.
- DIAMOND STONES: 3 grits in 240 (Black-Rough Cut), 500 (Red- Medium) and 1000 (Blue- Ultra-Fine).
- GUMMY STONE : to use during prep and the final tuning process.
- METAL FILE : fits multi-tool for side edge beveling.
- BRASS BRUSH: Mini-size brass brush to keep file and stones clean.
- PACKAGING: Comes boxed and organized for storage but includes a Purl bag, if you want to throw it all in together!
HOW TO INSTRUCTIONS:
- At the beginning of each season, we recommend a visit to a local tune shop for a base grind. This is to assure that your base is flat, set edge angles and apply a structure suitable for your area. Once you have had that done use this tool throughout the season to maintain your edges.
- The diamond file 500 (medium) grit is your go to file for most edge touch up. Set the angle of the file to the same angles** your local ski shop used during the base grind. Move the tool back and forth from tip to tail finishing with one long stroke from tip to tail. File your side angle first then your base edge angle. Finish polishing with the 1000 (fine) grit file.
For large dings and rolled over edges first use the 240 (rough) grit diamond file to remove case hardening. Next move to the 500 grit diamond file and continue as above.
** If you don't know the edge angle settings that your local shop used, a trick is to take a Black Sharpie and mark a section of the edge. Next set the Purl Edge Tuner to .5 degree moving it back and forth to see if it removes the black mark. If it does not remove the black mark set the Edge Tuner to 1 degree and try again. Continue with this procedure until you find the angle that removes the black marker.
IMPORTANT : Only use the Bastard (Metal) file to clean up the edge when the diamond files do not do the job. Be careful not to remove too much material!!
FOR MORE INFO ON ANGLES - CLICK HERE